Marrakech is a city I'd been wanting to visit for a long time, I'd enviously been eyeing up lots of photos from friends who'd been travelling there and decided this summer it was time to finally head there myself.
I took my boyfriend with me as his little birthday treat, which obviously had a number of selfish purposes to it also. We stayed at the gorgeous and ornate La Sultana hotel for the 2 nights we were there and it was so beautiful I didn't want to leave! We flew out very early in the morning and back late at night so we had a full 3 days of exploring, which was actually the perfect amount of time to spend there.
We explored the souks and fended off persistent sales men, which admittedly I was far less successful at that than Finn was, however that's beside the point. I was very content with all the spices and clay face masks I acquired in the first hour. The city was so much fun to explore and actually quite exhausting so it was lovely to be able to come and kick back round the pool after a few hours of exploring.
Staying at La Sultana really made the trip, it was like walking into a sanctuary of peace and quiet in amongst the craziness of the city. Our room was exquisite it felt like an Arabian palace and brandished a huge bath tub. When the shutters were closed it felt like an incredibly glamorous cave which resulted in us sleeping in incredibly late! The breakfasts were served on the rooftop every morning and as with every buffet breakfast, we indulged ourselves a little too much. That enticement made dragging ourselves out of the incredibly comfy bed and opulent den of our room to nourish ourselves for the day a little easier.
A few things to do in Marrakech:
- Head to the Majorelle Gardens, they're stunning and a tranquil escape from the madness outside their walls.
- Book dinner at La Sultana, they serve it on the beautiful rooftop and often have a Moroccan musician playing as the sun sets over the Atlas Mountains in the distance.
- Eat lunch or have an afternoon mint tea on the roof at El Fenn riad, they have tortoises that roam the courtyard grounds that are super cute and fun to play with.
- Explore the souks and buy too many spices and trinkets.
- Try out a tagine, they're delicious. I always try to eat locally while abroad in countries like Morocco as it's always going to be what they're best at!
- Drink mint tea! It's delicious here and comes with a ton of sugar making it even more yummy.
- For a fun evening out and to experience a belly dancing show then head to La Comptoir Darna for dinner, be sure to get your hotel to book ahead so you have good seats for the show.
Let me know your favourite places in the city!
* Thank you to La Sultana for hosting us *