Harbour Island is a tiny Island that stretches 3 miles in length, located in the Bahamas. With a gorgeous pink sand beach adorning one side, a laid back Bahamian feel and beautiful temperatures makes it the perfect getaway in the winter months. I've come here with my family for the last 4 years and each time it's not lost it's charm.
We spent our mornings rising very early and heading to the beach for a spectacular sunrise over the pink sand the island is renowned for. The whole beach glistens a sheer coral colour. Due to the heat this is also prime time to get a morning work out in, my sister and I constructed a series of workouts using the stairs that led down to the beach from our house! I'm not a fan of running on sand simply because I always feel like I may collapse after about 5 minutes so this was a pretty good alternative.
You'll feel instantly relaxed after stepping off the little speed boat that takes you over to the island. You have to fly into Nassau, then get a little plane over to Northern Eleuthera and then from there get a speed boat across to Harbour Island. The lengthy trip is so worth it when you arrive.
Everyone gets around the island in little golf buggies, in peak seasons you'll see them lined up all down the sides of the road. Some homeowners on the island have pimped out golf buggy's often matching the colours of the houses which is always quite amusing to see.
Harbour Island is without a doubt one of my favourite places on this little planet of ours, if you ever do get the opportunity to visit I've put a list of 10 of my favourite things to do while I'm there.
10 THINGS YOU SHOULD DO ON HARBOUR ISLAND:
1. Have lunch at Sip Sips. Try their lobster quesadilla (definitely share unless you're famished) and treat yourself to a Strawberry Daiquiri!
2. Coral Sands Beach Bar for lunch, start with their conch fritters - a local Bahamian dish.
3. Visit the famous tree that comes out the water! Pictured above.
4. Visit Queen Conch for their Conch Salad and sweet potato fries.
5. Get up early and enjoy the sunrise. Maybe go for a walk or a run along the beach!
6. Try and find Beyonce + Jay Z's house. Sorry that's stalkerish, but, Beyonce.
7. Go to Captain Bob's to buy your food supplies, best food shop on the island.
8. If you're visiting at Christmas time be sure to visit the Junkanoo, it's awesome and a lot of fun.
9. Visit The Landing for dinner, the steak is unparalleled as is their chocolate volcano dessert.