At the end of February Finn and I decided that the New York cold was getting a little much so it was time to escape for a night. While most people may head a little closer to home, potentially Miami, we decided to go all the way over the West coast... Yes that's right we spent 24 hours in San Diego and it was totally worth it.
At 3am on Saturday morning we rolled out of bed to the sounds of three different alarms ringing, stumbled into our clothes, out the door and into an Uber to JFK. At 6.15am we were on board a plane headed to California. Both a little dazed and confused as to what we were actually doing. Come lunchtime we were strolling the coastline in La Jolla and all thoughts of how ridiculous our weekend plan was, had disappeared.
Being able to actually feel warm in February was worth spending 13 hours on a plane in the space of 2 days. We actually managed to cover an impressive amount in such a short space of time. If you're heading to San Diego then here's what you should get up to.
- Spend the afternoon taking selfies with the sea lions in La Jolla, they're often beached up on the rocks in La Jolla cove and they're so entertaining to watch.
- You need to eat at Cody's in La Jolla for brunch or lunch, the perfect spot food a view of the ocean and delicious food. Their tacos are amazing.
- Take a stroll through the Gaslamp District. Named after the lanterns which line the streets, this district is in Downtown San Diego and you should check it out in the evening for a drink or a night out if that's what you're after!
- The Old Town is the perfect area to find yourself an amazing Mexican restaurant for lunch or dinner, there's so many to choose from all serving really delicious food.
- Explore the coastline, there's so many beautiful beaches and viewpoints located in San Diego, if you have more than 24 hours and a rented car you'll have so much to explore.
- Go Stand Up paddle boarding, surfing, kayaking or just for a swim - there's so many activities surrounding the ocean, so make the most of them!
Here's a few photos I took on our slightly crazy weekend away!