Scones are a classic British afternoon treat, typically served with a cup of tea a large dollop of cream and jam. I decided to try and make a slightly more nutritious option but one that still tastes great. It's very simple and I've simply replaced some of the typical ingredients with healthier options.
- 225g buckwheat/spelt flour
- 150ml almond milk
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- 2 handfuls of sultanas
- 1 egg for glazing
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 220 C and prepare a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Measure out the dry ingredients (flour + baking powder) into a big bowl, be sure to sift the flour. Then begin to rub the butter with the flour.
- Now add the almond milk little bit at a time to combine the mixture into a dough.
- Separate out into the mixture into evenly sized portions, usually around 2cm thick and 4cm wide.
- Glaze with egg and then put in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Take out and leave to cool before filling with homemade jam!
- Enjoy :)
If you'd like to see another afternoon snack idea I created then you can find one here.