Salted Coconut caramel is one of my favourite things to make, it’s a dairy free and a more delicious, healthier version of the classic sweet treat. It doesn’t require many ingredients and it’s way better for you than normal caramel this is because coconut sugar is unrefined and it doesn't create a spike in your blood sugar like refined sugar. These treats make the perfect little snack when you’re craving something sugary. Try not to eat the entire batch at once!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 3 big pinches of sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 tsps of coconut oil
WHAT TO DO:
1. In a big sauce pan melt the coconut oil then add the corn kernels and put the lid on and heat on a medium temperature. Let the kernels pop away until the popping slows and you think it’s all done.
2. Once the popcorn is done take it off the heat and in a non-stick pan start making the caramel.
3. In the pan put the coconut milk, coconut sugar and sea salt. It usually turns quite quickly, bring it to the boil and take it off when it bubbles up. Then keep heating until the liquid turns into caramel consistency.
4. Line a cake baking tin with parchment paper so it doesn’t stick. In a separate bowl mix in the popcorn and caramel until it’s all evenly coated and then pour into the tin. Press it down until it’s even and flat.
5. Put in the freezer and leave to set. Once set, chop into slices. I tend to keep these in the freezer as coconut caramel can have a tendency to melt quite fast.
6. Enjoy, guilt free indulgence!
Let me know if you try them out!